The original 79th Regiment Militia, failing to be ordered to the
front for some three months, organized under authority from the War
Department as volunteers at New York City, where, commanded by
Lieutenant Colonel Samuel McKenzie Elliott, it was mustered into the
service of the United States for three years, on
May 29, 1861; as the 79th Infantry Regiment.
became known by a number of names, including the Cameron Rifle Highlanders, the Highland Guard and Bannockburn’s Battalion. The
men were recruited principally in New York City and the regiment
turned over to the State in September, 1861; receiving its numerical
designation on December 11, 1861. In January, 1864, members of the
51st Infantry, and the 45th, 50th and 100th Pennsylvania Volunteers
were attached to the regiment, serving with it for about two months.
May 4, 1864,
Colonel Samuel McKenzie Elliott received authority to recruit a new
regiment, the Cameron Highlanders, but the authority was modified,
to recruit for this regiment. On May 13, 1864, the men not entitled
to be mustered out were formed into two companies, Companies A and
B. Those entitled to be mustered out at the expiration of the term
of service of the regiment proceeded to New York City and were there
discharged; under Lieutenant Colonel John More on May 31, 1864. In
November, 1864, the men enlisted by Colonel Elliott joined the
companies in the field as Companies C and D; then in January 1865,
Company E joined, and in March 1865, Company F was organized in the
field from recruits already received.
The regiment left New York
State on June 2, 1861 and served at
and near Washington, D. C..
Command, Dept. of Washington until June 1861.
It was then with the 3rd Brigade, 1st
Division, Army N. E. Virginia, from July 1861;
Brigade, Tyler's Division, McDowell's Army of Northeast Virginia to
August, 1861, with W. F. Smith's Brigade, Division of the Potomac to
October, Stevens' Brigade, Smith's Division, Army of the Potomac
until October 1861, in T. W. Sherman's Expeditionary
Corps, 2nd Brigade, from October 21, 1861; in the 2nd
Brigade, 2nd Division, Department South, from June 1862;
the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Corps, from July 1862;
in the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Corps, from September 1862;
the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Corps, from, June
1863; the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Corps, from July 1863; the
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Corps, from
March 1864; Companies A and B were with the 18th Corps, Army of the
James, from May 1864; in the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Corps,
Army of Potomac, from September 10, 1864; served as Provost Guard,
9th Corps, from October 7, 1864; and was honorably discharged and
mustered out under the commanded of Lieutenant Colonel Henry G.
Heffron on July 14, 1865; near Alexandria, Va.
Bradford participated in many battles fought by his
unit and was said to have taken part in the famous engagements of
Second Bull Run, Antietam, Perryville, Stones River, Chattanooga,
Chichamauga, Fredericksburg and the Battle of Resaca during the
Atlanta, Georgia campaign. Records, however, can’t confirm he was
present in the western campaigns, but then it can’t confirm he
wasn’t either. If Bradford was present with his regiment during all
their campaigns, they would have included
the advance on Manassas, Virginia from July 16
through 21, the occupation of Fairfax Court House on July 17, the
Battle of Bull Run, Virginia on July 21, back to Washington until
October, Lewinsville, Virginia, the Little River Turnpike, Bailey's
Cross Roads, Sherman's Expedition to Port Royal, S.C., the Capture
of Forts Walker and Beauregard, Port Royal Harbor, S.C., the
occupation of Bay Point, Beaufort, S.C., the Port Royal Ferry,
action at Pocotaligo, South Carolina, James Island, S.C., the Battle
of Secessionville on June 16, at Hilton Head, S.C., Newport News,
Va., Fredericksburg, Va., Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia, the
second Battle of Bull Run on August 30, the Maryland Campaign, the
Battles of South Mountain and Antietam, the Battle of
Fredericksburg, the "Mud March”, the Siege of Vicksburg, the repulse
of Longstreet's assault on Fort Sanders, the Battles of the
Wilderness, Spottsylvania, the assault on the Salient, Cold Harbor,
Bethesda Church, Siege of Petersburg, the Mine Explosion at
Petersburg, the Appomattox Campaign, the fall and occupation of
Petersburg and the pursuit of and Surrender of Lee and his army on
During its service Bradford’s regiment lost 2
officers and 83 enlisted men killed; 1 officer and 30 enlisted men
from wounds received in hostile actions and 1 officer and 82
enlisted men by disease. 11 enlisted men died in the hands of the
Muster rolls do not record him being present or
absent through January 1862, but do reveal he was present from
February 1862; until he was reported absent, due to being sick and
hospitalized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, in July and August of 1863.
Bradford is shown as having returned to duty and was present in
November and December 1863 and remained so until May 1864.
On May 31, 1864 Bradford was officially discharged
with his company, and six months later, on November 24, 1864,
Bradford married Elizabeth Kilpatrick of New York City. While in New
York in 1865 Soloman and Elizabeth’s daughter, Margaret, was born.
They were shown in the
New York City
directory for 1865-66.
The following year the family left New York for
Australia, aboard the “Queen of the Colonies”; arriving at Moreton
Bay, Queensland on October 14, 1866. The passenger list of the ship
records Soloman Bradford and Margaret Bradford as arriving on “14
Oct 1866 IMM/113 43 M1696” and Sara Bradford as “14 Caroline 17 Nov
1853 IMM/112 21 M1696”
The vessel, “Queen
of the Colonies”, made five trips from the United Kingdom and
Ireland to the colony of Queensland during the 1860s. A Brisbane
Courier Mail article of December 16, 1933, entitled "Alabama Chases
Famous Ships", by A. G. Davies, stated the “Queen of the Colonies”
was originally called the “Wizard”, and under that name did good
service for 10 or 11 years as a Californian Clipper. During the
American Civil War, the Confederate Cruiser “Alabama” wrought much
havoc among American shipping. The “Wizard” was bound for a
British port in 1862 when the “Alabama” came in sight, and she just
managed to escape capture by slipping into the Thames. She was
then bought by T.M. Mackay and Company, the London managers of the
Black Ball Line, and named “Queen of the Colonies” as a compliment
to Queensland. She took a number of immigrants on board, destined
for Moreton Bay in Queensland and left to pick up additional
passengers in Queenstown, Cork, Ireland on December 13, 1862; prior
to the Bradford’s voyage and arrival in 1866.
After arriving in
Australia Solomon and Elizabeth had four more children;
Sarah Mary 24 May 1867 Birth Certificate Ref.
Mary Ann 14 March 1869 Ref. 1869/000216,
Elizabeth 14 October 1871 Ref. 1871/000295
John Alexander 24 Jun 1876 Ref. 1876/000814.
bought the “Dalby Cordial Works” from Messrs. Campbell and
Higgins, in 1870, and operated it profitably until his death on
June 4, 1884; when he died from dropsy, at the age 47.
Solomon's death certificate Ref. 1884/001387.
Buried in Dalby
(Old) Cemetery are:-
Sarah (80 yrs)
Mary Ann (98
Dropsy is an
old-fashioned medical term for a condition where clear watery fluid
builds up in parts of the body, causing abnormal swelling of the
body or a part of the body; often caused by kidney or heart disease.
It is not a disease in itself but a symptom of various diseases
which may become fatal if not treated. Dropsy would be called
“congestive heart failure” today. It is usually an accumulation of
fluid around the heart, for a variety of complex reasons, and one
treatment is administration of digitalis (foxglove leaves). The
condition is accompanied by swelling, scanty urine, poor appetite,
sluggishness, and debility. The swelling usually begins in the feet
and ankles and proceeds up the legs towards the abdomen. Heavy salt
users often have dropsy as do diabetics.
After Soloman’s death the family continued operating
the “Dalby Cordial Works”, the family business, until 1923 when it
was finally sold; though it is still in operation by new owners
today. Solomon Bradford was buried in the Presbyterian Section of
the Old Dalby Cemetery.