Home  -  Veterans  -   Descendents - Researchers  -  Online Books  -  Disclaimer   -  Feedback  -  Links Contact Us

Richard Jones, born Richard R. Jones, around 1844 in Waushara County, Wisconsin, enlisted and was mustered in as a Private into the 22nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company “F” on August 21, 1862 at Racine, Wisconsin. His term of service with the 22nd was a standard enlistment of just three years. According to Wisconsin Muster-In records, he was said to be a stout man with light hair and complexion and almost six feet in height. As with all recruits in the company, Jones was paid a sum of $25 with an additional $75 to be paid at the time of his discharge.   This Richard R. Jones has long been confused with information and records of Richard H. Jones who mustered in at the same town and county, but who enlisted six days earlier.

The 22nd Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Camp Utley in Racine, Wisconsin, where Richard H. Jones, age 21 years of age was also mustered in on August 21, 1862 and the regiment officially mustered in on September 2, 1862. This Jones was listed as a resident of Waushara County, Wisconsin at the time of his enlistment and was likely a relation of the Richard R.

Jones from the same county. The Regiment left State for Cincinnati,  Ohio on September 16th then moved to Covington, Kentucky on September 22nd, attached to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Army of Kentucky, Department of the Ohio until November, 1862.

It then became part of the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of Kentucky, to February, 1863. It then served with Coburn's Brigade, Baird's Division, Army of Kentucky, Dept. of the Cumberland until June, 1863.

The 22nd Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry marched from Covington to Georgetown, Lexington, Sandersville and Nicholasville from October 7th through November 13, 1862. It saw duty at Nicholasville until December 12th when it moved to Danville, Kentucky on December 12th and did duty there till January 26, 1863. It next moved to Louisville, Kentucky, then to Nashville, Tennessee from January 26th through February 7, 1863, and on to Brentwood Station on February 21st; then to Franklin, Tennessee. After that it performed reconnoissance toward Thompson's Station and Spring Hill from March 3rd through the 5th and saw action at Thompson’s Station, on March 4th & 5th. Bragg's Union Cavalry forces, under Van Dorn, numbered nearly 18,000 strong and captured nearly 200 men of the Regiment. The regiment was then ordered to Brentwood Station on March 8th and saw action at Little Harpeth, Brentwood on March 25th. The regiment, some three-hundred men, were surrounded and unable to escape and were finally forced to surrender to Forest. They were then transported to Richmond, Virginia and according to their regimental history, on the following May 5th the regiment were paroled at City Point, Virginia under a formal prisoner exchange. Having decided he had enough, Richard deserted on May 20, 1863 from Benton Barracks at St. Louis, Missouri . As luck would have it, he was recaptured on June 18, 1863 by one Thomas Fuller and turned over to the Provost Marshal at Milwaukee Station, Wisconsin; forced to resume his duties with his company.

On June 23, 1863 Jones and the 22nd were in Franklin Tennessee and then moved on to Murfreesboro, Tennessee where they did garrison duty until February 1864. After that they were transferred to Nashville, Tennessee, on to Lookout Valley, Tennessee, to Atlanta, Georgia and participated in the Battle of Resaca on May 15th and 15th. They also participated in battles at New Hope Church, Pumpkin Vine Creak and Dallas. On June 27th they in the assault on Kennesaw, the Siege of Atlanta from July 22nd through August 25th, the Campaign of the Carolinas January to April 1865, participated in the Battle of Bentonville from March 19th through the 21st, the Occupation of Goldsboro on March 24 and the Occupation of Raleigh on April 14th.  

After participating Grand Review on May 24, 1865 the regiment, including Richard R. Jones, was mustered out June 12, 1865; although his Muster Roll records still carried his desertion recordings.  Richard was lucky; he had no injuries, was never sick and never had any disciplinary actions reported against him.

After leaving the military Richard made his way to Australia, and on February 25, 1871 he married Dinah A. Williams at Ballarat, Victoria; their first son, Walter Hall Jones, being born just over six months later on September 4th.

Richard R. Jones died on December 20, 1927 and was buried in the Methodist Section of Rookwood Cemetery, Section 2, grave number 513  in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia; Section 10, grave number 513.


Geraldine Strey, Wisconsin Historical Society

 James L. Hansen, Wisconsin Historical Society

 National Archives, Microfilm Collection, Film Number M559,  roll 15

 National Archives, Prisoner of War Records, Washington, D.C.

 National Archives, Veterans Records, Washington, D.C.

 New South Wales BMD Records

 Rookwood Cemetery Records

 “Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers: War of the Rebellion”, Authority of the Legislature, 1886, Vol. I – III

“The Union Army, 1861 - 1865”, Frank J. Welcher, 1989

Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison Wisconsin

22nd Wisconsin Infantry Muster Rolls

22nd Wisconsin Infantry Regimental Histories


Copyright ACWV 2005 - All Rights Reserved