George Nelson was
born in 1840 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. After arriving
in the United States, at age 21, Nelson was inducted into military
service at Camp Walton near Tampa, Florida on April 5, 1861; by
Capt. C.L. McKinnon. He was 5’5”, had dark complexion, grey eyes and
On February 15,
1862 he was inducted into the Fla. 1st. Inf., being transferred out
on April 4, 1862, into Co. “D”, Fla. 1st Battalion Infantry, being
again transferred on August 15, 1862 into Co. “D” Florida 1st
Reorganized Infantry. He remained on duty, still in Co. “D”, until
1864 when he received a Disability discharge, being sick at Chelsea
Record group 52, entry 31, Vol. 5, pg. 59, but
the exact date or method of discharge was not recorded.
George Nelson born Sydney, NSW, age 24, 5’5”,
dark complexion, grey eye, brown hair, enlisted at age 21 in Tampa,
Florida on Oct. 1861. Recd. Disability discharge, sick at Chelsea
Record group 52, entry 31, Vol. 5, pg. 59.
Naval Hospital Boston
Historic District (Chelsea Naval Hospital)
At the time the Boston Naval Hospital closed its
doors in 1974, it was the oldest naval hospital in continuous
service in the United States. The hospital, which was commissioned
and opened on January 7, 1836, was one of the first three hospitals
specifically authorized by Congress to accommodate naval personnel.
Previously, navy personnel received treatment at marine hospitals,
which the U.S. Department of Treasury operated for all mariners.
Originally called "Naval Hospital at Charlestown (Chelsea Site),"
then "Naval Hospital Chelsea," and finally "Naval Hospital Boston,"
it served naval personnel and others during the Civil War,
Spanish-American War, the Chelsea Fire of 1908, World War I and
World War II. At the time the hospital shut its doors it comprised
approximately 88 acres of land on the Mystic River with five
historic buildings erected between 1836 and 1915, as well as several
other buildings built after 1915.
original 1836 granite-block hospital building was constructed near
the river and could accommodate about 100 patients. A wing was added
on the west side in 1865 and an addition to the north end in 1903. A
new hospital building was constructed further up the hill and away
from the river in 1915 and the old building was converted to
quarters for hospital personnel.
Before the first hospital building was completed, several acres of
land near the river were transferred to the Bureau of Ordnance and
two single story stone structures were built. The larger of the two
buildings was used as an ordnance magazine and was constructed in
such a way that if there was an explosion it would be directed
upward through the roof rather than outward through the walls. Both
buildings were returned to the hospital in 1910 and the smaller
building was converted into quarters for the Chief Radio Operator
for the radio station on site. After the station was discontinued
both buildings functioned as storage space.
December 1857, a parcel of land was sold to the Treasury Department
for the erection of a new marine hospital. Originally a three-story
building, it was built with an I-shaped footprint. A fourth-story
was added in 1866 with a mansard roof. It often served as overflow
space for the naval hospital. The building and property were
returned to the Navy Department in 1940 and the building was
converted into barracks. After the Naval Hospital closed, the
property was turned over to the City of Chelsea for redevelopment.
The original naval hospital and the marine hospital buildings were
converted into condominiums in the early 1980s. Also still extant
are the ordnance buildings and the Commanding Officer's quarters,
parts of which date to 1856.
The Naval Hospital Boston Historic District (Chelsea Naval Hospital)
is located along the
Mystic River, west of the
Northeast Expressway, in Chelsea. While the buildings are now
privately owned, they can be viewed from the street. The Commanding
Officer's Quarters, Naval Hospital building and ordnance buildings
are all located on Commandant's Way, and the Marine Hospital
building is located on Captains Row.
Infantry Muster Cards
Records of Confederate Soldiers
Film M225, Roll 5
Soldiers of Florida in
the American Civil War